Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 5 - 4/3/09

Life Guard Station 26, Ocean Park, Santa Monica CA
trash collected for 20 min.
est. lbs. collected today - 13 (two people - me and my husband Garen)
est. lbs. to date - 48
I have found so many balloons. The problem is not that the balloons aren't biodegradable, they are. Most balloons are made from laytex, and laytex is made from the sap of rubber trees. The tapping process doesn't even hurt the tree. The problem is the strings that tangle more things into them, creating a hazard for turtles flippers and other animals to get trapped in the mess. Also, turtles mistake them for food, jellyfish, and that can kill the turtle. It gets stuck in the digestive system and eventually blocks them up, and they die. 
Of all the sea birds that I like, these Sandpiper's are my favorite. 


No comments:

Post a Comment