Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 208 - August 2, 2011


life guard tower 26 - Santa Monica, CA 
trash collected for 20 min.
3 pounds collected
785.2 pounds total

COMMUNITY COUNT DAY 116 
(until I update from my rock star friend Danielle's blog IT STARTS WITH ME - 82 DAYS & counting)
Arleen and Garen 
trash collected for 20 minutes
Arleen - 2.1
Garen - 2.1 
4.2 pounds total
711.7 pounds total

THE DAILY OCEAN TOTAL POUNDS COLLECTED OFF ALL BEACHES - 1,496.6 



After the CBS Nightly News aired their segment last Sunday on The Daily Ocean, I got at least half a dozen comments from concerned viewers pleading with me to wear a glove.

I DO! Thank you for your kindness. I was touched by the time you took to write me a comment, send me an email, or a tweet to let me know that you wanted me to be safe when I went out for my collections. 

I usually wear a glove, and can't remember why I wasn't for part of that shoot. But thanks for your support and interest in The Daily Ocean!




My friend Arleen has been a supporter of this blog since she found me on twitter right after I got started. Lucky me that she is moving to Venice part time. She was here this week getting her house situated and so she came out for a cleanup to catch up since the last time I saw her. She's done cleanups with me before -- check one of them out here. 

Thanks Arleen for the good company, the good food last night, and of course for your friendship and support.



And so castles made of.....plastic? Fall into the sea, endlessly. Please excuse the poor paraphrasing of the timeless Hendrix classic, but I think you get the idea. 






I passed my hand through several plastic bags this morning in the surf while swimming out. It was low tide, the kelp was dense, and the synthetic detritus was floating around like ramen noodles. Its frustrating for me when I'm body surfing and I swim past trash. I could shove it in my rash guard...yuck! OR I could come back at the end of the day. I'm reinvested in this beach in a different way now that I spend 5-6 mornings a week in the water with my body surfing friends.




A kelp wave. 




While Arleen, Garen and I walked south




the sun set behind us with plenty of people enjoying a Southern California beach at low tide. We may have been the only people there to pick up trash in the setting sun, but we loved our walk just as much as the rest of them strolling along the shoreline. Thanks Arleen and Garen

No comments:

Post a Comment