Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day 70 - Oct. 28

life guard tower 26 - Ocean Park, Santa Monica CA
trash collected for 20 minutes
estimated pounds collected today - 3.2
estimated pounds collected to date - 329.13
It was incredibly windy today, well for the last three days. I like this time of year though, so it doesn't bother me. When I walked out onto the beach I thought that there wouldn't be that much trash left for me to collect, that everything had already blown into the water.

But then i remembered how much gets buried into the sand, and I quickly realized I may find some interesting pieces of trash that the extreme weather had revealed.
I found the usual:
-plastic wrappers
-bottle tops
- tons of cigarette butts
- food wrappers
Nothing interesting about any of that stuff.
Ah, Starbucks...why don't they have recycling for plastics in their stores? Have you ever noticed how many clear plastic single use drinking cups with lids are crammed into their trash bins? I might try to get them to take on some recycling initiative. Anyone know someone who works for Starbucks at the corporate level? Want to help me?
Styrofoam - It is banned in the city of Santa Monica, yet I got some to go from the Novel Cafe up the street the other week and my yogurt came in a styrofoam container. Siel knows of a link that you can report businesses who still use styrofoam in the city of S.M.. When I find out, I'll pass on the information.
Windy? Doesn't it look like someone propped this metal trash can on its side like a make-shift goal? Maybe they did, but I like to think it might also have been the strong winds that have swept through here lately.

I was reading greenLAgirl yesterday and Siel had posted about a really cool project.

Take your picture with your hands in front of you fanning out to look like a whale's tale and send it in. Your support will be counted.

You can submit your whale tail photo here.

If you want to come support this project in person and you live in Santa Monica:
next Sat. on the 3rd st. promenade at 1 pm at Lush Cosmetics, the actress Kristen Bauer from True Blood will be there to talk about this project, take some pictures and has a giveaway for the first 100 people to RSVP. email: tailsforwhales@lush.com

Can't be there in person? Help support Whale's and a new bill for Whale Conservation that is being put through congress right now by downloading animal ring tones from IFAW


Just a couple of people out today. At sunset it was me and a few sea gulls. As I've said in earlier posts, I like their company so I didn't mind. There is something soothing about being on a beach that feels like you've got it all to yourself.

And if you haven't seen this before, the NRDC has a really incredible campaign for the oceans. Go here to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment