Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 330 - Sept. 15, 2012



lifeguard tower 26 - Ocean Park, Santa Monica CA
trash collected for 20 min. 
9 pounds (a wet sneaker and plastic bottle full of sand contributed to this)
1,251.8 pounds total

3 cigarette butts



The night after Coastal Cleanup Day and I collected nine pounds of trash in 20 minutes. I share this not to discourage those who came out but to illuminate a need for continuous action. 

Here are three things you can do to address all the trash flowing into the ocean:

1. TAKE IT OFF THE BEACH AND OUT OF YOUR OWN LIFE

Do more beach cleanups! Come out with me! I go out 3 - 4 times a week. Here's how to join me. Or do one on your own and email me about it. Surfrider and Heal the Bay also do monthly cleanups. Physically picking up the same items over and over made me reach for them less often in my own life.


2. BUY AND USE A REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE - If you did only one thing to help the ocean, this is it. You'll save money. You'll drink healthier water. (Brita Filters are great if you are worried about the quality of your tap water)

WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOUR BODY IS GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT



3. PASS IT ON!
Think of a creative way to spread the message for cleaner oceans to your friends and family. You have permission to act on your own. Not everyone will end up starting a blog, or non-profit, but you probably have a camera in your phone, you have access to free social media (blogspot blogs like this one are free) and you have great ideas. Take 20 minutes and brainstorm how you could use your creativity, passion and determination to inspire people. I started The Daily Ocean with one beach cleanup. What could you do? Start your own Daily Ocean blog. Ideas are free. I share mine. Leave me a comment and tell me yours. 

ACTION FEELS SO MUCH BETTER THAN INACTION.

No comments:

Post a Comment