Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 222 - Oct. 4, 2011




life guard tower 26 - Ocean Park, Santa Monica CA
trash collected for 20 minutes
5.3 pounds collected
833.1 pounds total



As I write this morning, it is raining in Santa Monica. Rain, especially the first real downpour after the dry season is nicknamed - The First Flush. It was exactly a year ago that the First Flush came to town. Team Marine from Santa Monica High School was there to document it. 


In LA County, it is recommended that you do not enter the water for 3 days after a heavy rain. Santa Monica High's Teach and Test Club has documented bacteria levels that exceed 100 times the legal limit for human safety in the water. They test bacteria levels at the Santa Monica Sport Fishing Pier, the Pico/Kenter Storm Drain and Tower 26 (here).


While the birds and other animals  might be enjoying the fresh water down pour, I am b-u-m-m-e-d. Have I said it too many times already? I have to stay out of the water for 3 DAYS! Something is very seriously wrong with that. 


I ran into my friend Mary at the beach last night. She was out on the beach Friday night as I watched the sunset from home because of a teeny bit of thunder. Here is the link to her FB page so you too can appreciate the sky that night. She's a very good photographer and artist. 


As Mary said, it is the start of "Sunset Season" and the rainy season...here is what the beach looked like as I left the sand last night. If you compare it to the first picture in this post, you can see the difference. 


No comments:

Post a Comment