Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 295 - June 20, 2012



lifeguard tower 26 - Ocean Park, Santa Monica CA
trash collected for 20 min.
1.5 pounds
1,112.5 pounds total

2 cigarette butts





The beach was blissfully clean tonight. I got to the parking lot after they'd closed the gate so I had to ditch my car in street parking and sprint over to the sand before I lost all of the sunlight. Eight o'clock in late June there's still enough light to get down for a cleanup, but once the sun slips behind the Santa Monica Mountains I'm out of luck since I don't use a flash for my photographs. You can guess how close I cut it last night considering there are only two photos up in this post...

Yesterday was International Surfing Day. I'm not sure who claimed it as such, but Surfrider came out in the morning and did a beach cleanup. Maybe that's why at the end of the day, except for this balloon, I got to walk along smiling at the clean sand. Sure, there was still some trash to be collected but only a pound and a half for a summer's night is pretty darn good. I left the beach with a smile. 

1 comment:

  1. Nothing quite like walking a clean shore and knowing that it was people with the same outlook as you that helped make it that way!

    ReplyDelete