Saturday, August 29, 2015

August 28, 2015 - Beach Cleanup #381




beach cleanup #381
tower 26 - Santa Monica, CA
trash collected for 20 min.
5.3 pounds
1,405 pounds total



After talking to someone yesterday about speaking at the Long Beach Aquarium for a private event in October, I got a bust of energy to go out for a beach cleanup. 
It had been awhile since I felt the inspiration to go out. Not that I don't love The Daily Ocean, I do. But juggling motherhood, and writing doesn't leave me with a lot of juice to go down to the beach around sunset. I emphasize doing what you can with the time that you have. And perhaps I have to accept that in the last year and a half (my daughter is 19 months) I haven't felt like donating a lot of time to this. That has to be okay. It's over six years ago now that I started this beach cleanup project. My life has changed a lot in six years. How about yours?




When I think it's been pretty quiet for awhile in The Daily Ocean area of my life, someone will contact me about my work. It's just the energizing force I need. I am reminded that I love doing this. 

Five people stopped to thank me last night as I did my cleanup. One woman had a little pile she'd collected that she was going to throw away later. I added it to my bag for her. People care. It's a great feeling when I'm reminded of this. 



If you live in Southern California, it's too darn hot this week. Why not pack a reusable water bottle rather than a plastic one when heading to the beach this weekend? It's one simple, clear way to make a difference. 


1 comment:

  1. I learned of a another way to use those plastic water bottles we all buy... one of our drought/recycling mags I get (thru the city), said to use those empty water bottles in large planter containers... Instead of filling a big planter w/potting soil, fill the bottom w/the empty bottles, then add soil, then your plant.. that way the planter will not be as heavy when u want to move it... cool idea, eh?

    ReplyDelete